Wednesday, May 25, 2016

5th grade STEM Team Challenge

Since it's so close to the end of the year, I thought I would switch up my lesson plan and incorporate some Makerspace/STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) activities. My 5th graders were given a cup challenge in 3 groups. Their team goal was to create the highest cup tower without touching the cups with any part of their body! They had string, tape, scissors, straws, craft sticks, and 60 cups to work with. It was certainly an exercise in teamwork, patience, and creativity. I have never had so many kids peeking in the library to see what we were doing! The winning team had a tower 37.5 inches high but admitted they touched it near the end, so the winners had a 33 inch tower but I rewarded all teams for good teamwork, sportsmanship, and imagination!










No comments:

Post a Comment