Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Warm Up with a Good Book

The library is starting to look festive with our small little tree (pretty soon we will make our beginning, middle, and end paper chains as well as our main idea and details chains to make it even more festive!).
I also decorated the bulletin board with the theme "Warm Up with a Good Book" and first grade students wrote their favorite books on mittens. I thought I would share a few of my favorite reads right now!


Here are my top picks! Images from bn.com

Waiting for Unicorns: This amazing book relives a girl's struggle with losing her mother to cancer and having to start life over with her uncle. It is really emotional and for older readers (5th-6th grade) or those who have dealt with traumatic loss.

Out of My Mind: This story, told my a main character who has a physical disability, is her struggle with being treated like an average student. Even though she can't walk or talk, she has many talents to share with the world. Great for all readers who want to understand disabilities.

One for the Murphys: This story of a girl in foster care doesn't think she deserves a good family. You want to help her but she doesn't make it easy!

Critter Club: This cute new series is perfect for 2nd-3rd grade readers. It's a chapter book that is easier with pictures and words. Each features a small animal that students will love!

How to Read a Story: This is a great example of an author's purpose book: is it to inform or entertain? After reading it to my 3rd graders, we decided it is a little of both but categorized in non-fiction so it's informational. It's a good story to teach the big idea of reading!

Pout Pout Fish: I love the Pout Pout fish books! Even though they are a bit of a longer read aloud, they always have a great message. I got this one from the book fair and it's a story of fitting in. Each has a message worth sending to younger readers!

Click Clack Ho, Ho, Ho: This is my top holiday pick from the creators of Click Clack Moo. Who doesn't love the shenanigans Duck does?!

 Any other ideas? Feel free to add a comment! I would love to hear what you are reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment